We warmly welcome students, parents and teachers to the classes and services of the Victorian School of Languages.
The VSL is a state-wide service of the (Victorian) Department of Education and Early Childhood Development and its language classes can be accessed by school-aged students from all three educational sectors – Government, Catholic and Independent.
The VSL provides language classes to students who do not have access to study their preferred language at their home school.
The following services are available
- Face-to-face language classes from Prep to Year 12 (VCE) in 40 campuses around Victoria – over 40 languages available.
- Distance Education language classes from Year 7 to Year 12 (VCE) – 11 languages available.
- Vocational Education (VET in Schools, RTO) classes for languages in partnership with selected government and non-government schools.
- Language classes for International Students.
- A range of professional development seminars for teachers on languages education.
- A range of interactive online language courses
The school commenced in 1935 by teaching Japanese and Italian, and since that time it has made a significant contribution to the teaching of languages in Victoria and to our successful multicultural State. In 2015 the school celebrated its 80th Anniversary.
In a major report to the European Commission, Language Rich Europe (Page 38) Professor G Extra highlighted our school's contribution in the following terms:
"The pioneering and widely known policies and practices in the Victorian School of Languages" (VSL) in Melbourne, Australia constitute an excellent good practice that can be adopted in the European context as well."
Our teachers and members of our school community continue to work together to provide a quality service in the important task of teaching languages to Victorian students.